Monday, June 6, 2011

Fresh vs. frozen

And we're not talking veggies ...

I have a follow-up appointment with my RE tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the conversation about what's next will go more smoothly in person.

I've heard some explanations of why the RE is probably pushing for another fresh cycle vs. FET that made some sense (more than the reasons she gave me). One is that because I'm not getting any younger, they want me to do another fresh cycle while I'm still responding well to stims, which could change at any time. For that reason it's not bad to hang onto the frozen because if I keep at this for a while, these frozen embryos will be from my "younger" eggs. The other reason someone mentioned hanging onto the FEs is in case of m/c, you have some in the bank if you don't feel up to another full cycle right away.

Those are solid reasons. But I still think I may be someone who does better on an FET cycle because my body is more relaxed. I'm a needle-phobe, having to stick myself repeatedly and then get an IV for a surgical procedure. Nothing about that is very relaxing to me, though I made it through, and I'd probably be slightly less stressed the second time around.

The frozen embryos are in good shape, too, according to the lab; they were reached blastocyst stage and were frozen on Day 5, which means they were *not* slow growers, as my doctor said. One's a 4AB, other a 2AB.

I feel like if we try FET and there's trouble with the thaw or it just doesn't work, then we know. I can start another IVF fresh cycle feeling motivated to do so. I think I'm still leaning toward FET. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment